Thursday, January 21, 2010

Keeping the Proprioception Going: Session 5

I did in fact recover from Session 4's freezing finally, although I'll admit it was a long day of serious body recover - like bonking almost - body weak, queasy stomach, lethargy. By night fall I was coming around, and by the following morning I actually, yes Phil you were right, felt better. Going into Wednesday's session 5 I had energy and worked through the warm-up exercises it great shape; Phil was back to picking on details of posture and execution rather than abbreviating the routine to save my spine.

Post warm-up we focused on what I can do to not lose my proprioception gains. I'm heading off to India for three weeks and simply put, it's not the best timing for my workouts. But since no one pays me to ride my bike, I have other obligations. Always part of the strategy of this growing older and trying to stay fit and active - managing time, and focusing on health, nutrition - life balance. Trying to avoid what the Hopi people call Koyaanisqatsi - 'crazy life, life in turmoil, life out of balance, life disintegrating, a state of life that calls for another way of living.

Right now my body is physically out of balance - a little internal Koyaanisqatsi you might say.

Phil gave me simple marching orders - try to get in the basic warm-up routine at least three times a week and do one balance exercise - a foam pad or pillow on the floor, then stand centrally positions on one bare foot at a time (we are working to develop better structure in my feet to assume part of the load off the back so much of my work is now done in bare feet), bending at the knee slightly, back straight, reach over and touch the floor (without supporting on the floor or pushing off) , then return to stand (remaining on one leg). Repeat left hand to right hand 10 times, then switch legs. Two sets each.

If all goes well my initial proprioceptor launch will continue successfully into orbit and I'll return from India ready to build on this base.

And of course we had to finish things off with the ICE BATH!!!! I won't go into it again - read session 4 if you want those frigid details. ps - it was fractionally more tolerable this time, sorta, kinda.

No comments:

Post a Comment