Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"All I need is a mechanic and a car!”

It comes as no secret to anyone that I am a huge Jens Voigt fan. And why shouldn't we all, the guy's got a huge motor, a huge passion for riding hard, a huge joy for being on the bike and hugely friendly. So it's with a bit of sadness that he won't be riding "his" race this week in the Critérium International. But he still made his mark -

Just 2 days and three stages long the Critérium International is fondly referred to as the “mini Tour de France” - although "micro TdF" might be more accurate. Jens has won the two-day race five times putting him in classy company, tying record held by Emile Idée and Raymond Poulidor, but as VeloNews reported it, "the 38-year-old won’t be going back this year — with Ghent-Wevelgem and Volta a Catalunya coinciding with the two-day race window of Critérium International on March 26-27, Voigt’s Saxo Bank squad is stretched too thin to send a minimum of six riders to the French race."

In classic Jens style we get the Quote of the Week:

“Can’t I just start alone? I don’t need a team. All I need is a mechanic and a car!” he told VeloNews. “I can take the jersey on the first day, then I can just hide in the bunch, then you do a time trial. You don’t need anybody else.”

No comments:

Post a Comment